Wednesday, January 18, 2012

New Sewing Project

I've been spending my valuable non-work hours working on this fantastic dress for a masquerade party I hosted a few weeks ago.  I learned some valuable lessons for when I (n)ever attempt a project like this again.  1) Boning is for tension in the garment, it mostly doesn't need to hold you up on its own.  So . . . you don't need ridiculously rigid material for it.  I actually read somewhere that twist ties will work.  In this dress, I used commercial featherweight boning, and it was still to rigid.  After wearing (and dancing in) the dress for 6 hours, I had bruises and abrasions where the ends of the boning rubbed into my sides.  2) Don't cut corners with the nice fabric.  My pattern said that I could use cheap lining for the underskirt where it didn't show, but I found that the underskirt showed at surprising times, even when I was walking vigorously.  3) Do cut corners with extra frills and braid.  That crap is only useful for hiding mistakes.  In an over-the-top dress like this, you don't need extra frills.




Here are a few more photos from the amazing night:



No comments:

Post a Comment