Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Roti

Last night I whipped up a delicious red lentil dal that made my whole house smell like spices.  As I sat down to eat it with a fork, it occurred to me that one of my favorite things about Indian food is scooping it up with naan.  Unfortunately, I realized that I had never made naan, didn't have a recipe, and didn't exactly have time to make a batch before my dal cooled.  However, I had been wanting to try the recipe for roti from the River Cottage Bread Handbook.  Since this bread, unlike naan, is unleavened, it is quick and easy to make.  Just mix together some flour, salt, and water, knead a little, then roll out into rounds like tortillas.  I think that the main difference between roti and a tortilla is that you cook the roti for shorter intervals over higher heat, which is what allows it to puff up like a balloon.  The first time I saw the bread actually puff all the way I was delighted!  After you remove it from the heat, it quickly deflates, but the resulting bread is soft and chewy, and perfect for scooping a nice, thick, dal and rice mixture.

No comments:

Post a Comment