Saturday, March 26, 2011

Local Really Is Better

In Portland, pretty much everyone agrees that local is good.  We like to get our groceries at the farmer's market or grow them in our backyards, we will reuse, pass on, or repurpose anything, and we like to live close enough to bike to work.  So why buy mass-produced liquor that you could get anywhere in the country, when we have some amazing and creative distilleries in our own back yard? 

Frankly, I had no idea they were so amazing, so numerous, or so close, until my friends Rick and Elisabeth began inviting me to distillery tours and tastings.  Today we visited House Spirits and New Deal distilleries in inner southeast Portland.  I'm already a huge fan of House Spirits' aquavit and their Aviation gin, and today we tasted their newest batch of white dog whiskey.  I think that this whiskey is certainly not for everyone - it's un-aged and I tend to prefer a mellower sipping whiskey that's been sitting around awhile.  But I also think that the many flavors in this whiskey are much clearer than they would be in a barrel aged whiskey, which a lot of people really like. And they obviously do - this whiskey sells out almost immediately upon release.

Over at New Deal, we tasted nearly the whole selection, including two amazing gins and a mind-blowing chamomile liqueur.  I was so blown away by all of the spirits we tasted that I had to have a bottle of their New Deal Gin No. 3, even though I'm trying to save money.  It is wonderfully smooth and will make an excellent martini.  The Gin No. 1 was also fantastic in a completely different way, and I wish I could have justified buying two bottles. 

Finally, the best thing about these local spirits is that they are priced competitively with most major, middle-quality liquors.  So, for about the same price as a bottle of Tanqueray, I instead get this delightful gin and get to feel good about supporting my local economy!

No comments:

Post a Comment