Saturday, September 18, 2010

Taking my Ciabatta Out for a Spin


Today I made my first ever panini sandwich (or panino, if you prefer) using my own home made ciabatta.  I don't have a panini press or grill pan to make those cute little grill marks on the sides, so I just cooked the sandwich in a dry frying pan over medium heat, pressing down with my fingers and a spatula.  It worked pretty well (even the somewhat precarious flip) although I wouldn't have minded if it had gotten a little thinner and crispier in some places.  For the filling, I layered fresh mozzarella, shredded basil from my garden, and a sliced heirloom tomato from the farmer's market.  Then I drizzled a little balsamic vinegar and olive oil over the filling and dusted a little sea salt and black pepper on top and added the other slice of ciabatta.  Yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment