Friday, July 2, 2010

Basic Loaf

Sadly, I have no pictures of the basic white/whole wheat blend loaves I made last weekend, because we ate them so quickly! This was another recipe from the River Cottage book, and it turned out very nice sandwich bread. I used a mixture of beer and water as the liquid and a mixture of white and whole wheat flour to give the bread more fiber without making it taste like cardboard. I also added a bit of honey to sweeten the dough, as I prefer a slightly sweeter wheat bread. This bread was not exciting enough for me - I'm the kind of person who would sit around and eat plain bread all day as long as it had a strong flavor and good texture, like sourdough or olive bread - but I can see making large loaves of it on the weekend to use for sandwiches throughout the week. Sliced very thin it was excellent for cheese and veggie sandwiches (and I'm sure it would taste very good with ham or smoked turkey, too.)

No comments:

Post a Comment